There are numbers of well meaning Christians who unwittingly fall prey to idolatry and mammon in marketing. The prosperity message, one with everything in the universe, abundance, it all has one thing in common. It leads people away from Christ. It has no place in Christian coaching.
Because let’s just be clear about what new age doctrine is, it’s success without Lordship or pointing to Christ as the source of all hope and salvation.
I’ve read the Science of Getting Rich. Read many books on abundance thinking and millionaire mindsets. It is all in the same category to me of all the self-help gurus. It’s getting you to think multiplication without denial. It points to you and not Christ. It’s the opposite of what it takes to grow spiritual authority in the kingdom of God.
I have noticed from my own coaching perspective, individuals who are attracted to these kind of businesses or even pastors, have grow up in fear based homes. The statistics say 50% of the church come from homes that are addiction based, performance based, you were adopted, had chronic illness or other defining life experiences.
13 Characteristics of people who grew up in an addiction based home of origin:
- Guess at what normal behavior is.
- Have difficulty following a project through from beginning to end.
- Lie when it would be just as easy to tell the truth.
- Judge themselves without mercy.
- Have difficulty having fun.
- Take themselves very seriously.
- Have difficulty with intimate relationships.
- Overreact to changes over which they have no control.
- Constantly seek approval and affirmation.
- Usually feel that they are different from other people.
- Are super responsible or super irresponsible.
- Are extremely loyal, even in the face of evidence that the loyalty is undeserved.
- Tend to lock themselves into a course of action without giving serious consideration to alternative behaviors or possible consequences. This impulsively leads to confusion, self-loathing and loss of control over their environment. In addition, they spend an excessive amount of energy cleaning up the mess.
This list comes from 13 Characteristics Of An Alcoholic Home by Janet G. Woititz, Phd. If you see anything you struggle with on this list, you will actually be ATTRACTED to people in business (and even church) who display the same leadership characteristics of your home of origin. Typically, a deep-seated need for affirmation and/or material wealth because you had so much instability (insert now all the prosperity preachers you have heard and the stories they told about their childhood).
Let me encourage you to build your business God’s way. Building biblical Lordship, dying to self and functioning out of your authority as a son/daughter of Christ and not positional titles.
Make disciples as you grow your business! Point to Him and the work he has done in your life. Do this consistently and you will multiply and grow!
Question! Do you see anything on the list that is sabotaging you? If you want prayer, leave it and I will be praying for your DELIVERANCE!
Love, love, love you! Bec:)
Do you have a heart to start a Christian coaching or speaking business that transforms others? You can begin with my START NOW package! FREE!