Words of affirmation I believe are one of the greatest gifts we can give those we love. The truth is you must be very secure as well as emotionally healthy to affirm others. Especially if they are doing better then you are or you are feeling a bit limited. The holidays are an excellent time of year to focus on the heart of the season which is beauty, child-like faith and sharing good news:)
From a leadership perspective, the power of the spoken word to cause someone to grow more courageous is immeasurable. Words of affirmation, when done correctly, move people from a place of feeling superficially appreciated to experiencing deep value. Anyone who knows me personally understands I don’t care too much for what I call “fluffing or champing.” It’s that stuff we say to people that come across as flattery and frankly is insincere. It’s about external beauty, possessions, and man-pleasing.
However, when you really want to begin to change someone identity wise, you look for authentic talents, inner beauty and characteristics that you see in them that will bring them to a place of seeing themselves as God see’s them. Deeply valuable.
So, this Christmas or on birthday’s, consider writing words of affirmation to someone sharing with them what is about them that set’s them apart and makes them extraordinary to you. Here are a couple of ways that you can help affirm them identity wise the right way.
Finish these sentences:
- One of the things I appreciate most about being your mother, friend is…..
- There is not one day that goes by that I don’t think…..
- I feel like I won the lottery when I see you doing this for others….
- When I think of a faithful friend, I reflect on how you do this….
- Because of how you do this…, it makes me realize how blessed I am to have you in my life.
- I feel so thankful and grateful about this part of you…..
- I have the best memories of this time with you….
- I constantly see you operate in this spiritual gifting or natural one and it amazes me….
- The passion you have for this just amazes me….
- When I think of you, I see this picture…..
There are no rules to this, and you don’t need to worry about being a poet or a writer. Here’s the truth. Your letter may be the one thing that this person holds onto and reads during times of discouragement and trials. It could be the conversation starter to a whole new relationship and beautiful season with someone you love. Now get started writing!